Flat spot and Fluid Contact analysis…Still experimental
The flat spot and fluid contact package is a
sequence of calculations designed to take normal Segy as input and then output
new volumes of flat spot or fluid contact indicators. This is a computationally intensive and
evolving process. It can be viewed as a
large “batch job” that has been fairly carefully parameterized. The codes are backed by 4
For a short technical discussion of
The version of the code that is available as of 4/2009 is best viewed as experimental in 2 areas.
· Interpretation: The whole science of interpreting flat spots and fluid contact effects continues to evolve. For this reason, scanning tools like these are still experimental and are likely to stay that way for some time.
· Default settings: The settings for some of the defaults are designed to allow lots of anomalies to be generated. The idea is to filter them out during interpretation. You may find that you need to run it a couple of times to get the anomaly count or type down to the level that you want. For now at Quantum Earth, the settings are being left more open, partly to monitor what the codes are finding. This will help in further filter and/or algorithm development.
Features of the code:
· The Segy Header Scanner comes with the package
· Petrophysical input involves background and hydrocarbon reservoir velocities as a function of time/depth
3. DipStack volume
4. DipStack volume with finish filtering
5. Volume of dip vectors, for later re-use, if necessary
Last Updated: 4/25/2009